Pray for the Preparation Work Against FGM in Ethiopia
[ePrayer – Pray for the battle against FGM in Ethiopia]
In Ethiopia today, many women and girls are still suffering from the threat of Female Genital Mutilation (FGM). This traditional harmful practice not only makes sufferers lose their dignity but also brings irreversible physical damage and severe emotional pain in their entire lives.
According to the official research findings of Ethiopia in 2011, around 23% of the women population under or aged 14 have experienced FGM. The percentage of FGM victims in the high-risk areas even hit 47%. Despite the fact that the Federal Government of Ethiopia has put up laws against FGM based on gender equality, it’s sad that many families are still unwilling to abandon this harmful tradition, as the parents still hope that their girls will be blessed for good marriage and living through this act linking to moral benefits such as purity and virginity.
From the financial support received from an overseas organisation, Ethiopian Kale Heywet Church (EKHC) has implemented FGM project in 10 areas since 2000. Through community education and advocacy work, people are educated about the problems brought by FGM and their wrong concept of purity is corrected. Besides, EKHC helped circumcisers to develop new skill sets so that they could change jobs for a new life. All these work resulted in a significant reduction of FGM incidence in the community during that period. However in 2012, EKHC found it difficult to continue their work due to financial constraints.
CEDAR is going to support our partner EKHC to conduct a survey interviewing 1,000 people in 5 targeted villages. The interviewees include the unmarried, married, religious leaders, local officials and circumcisers. By obtaining the latest findings and figures, our partner can arrange better work and services against FGM in the near future, hoping that the practice will be completely eliminated soon and the females there will no longer need to suffer physically and emotionally.
Pray for the battle against FGM in Ethiopia:
- EKHC is currently working hard on the survey questionnaire. Our partner is conferring with local officials about the selection of interview districts and the recruit of 15 suitable interviewers for this survey. Pray that God will lead this project so that they can collect useful data for the upcoming plans.
- Pray that God will protect those women and girls who are still threatened by FGM and have mercy on those who still suffer from the sequela of FGM. We stand by them hoping that this harmful practice will be eliminated soon.
 Female genital mutilation includes partial or total removal of a girl’s clitoris and labia; wound healing resulting in closure of the virginal opening prevents the girl from having any premarital sex and thereby preserving her chastity.
Other Methods of Payment
- Cheque payable to ‘CEDAR FUND’
- Deposit to HSBC A/C No. 600-385678-001, enclosing with the Pay-in slip
- Autopay (only applicable to regular fixed donations), enclosing with a completed Autopay Authorisation Form (Download: WORD or PDF)
- Visa/ Master Card
Download Donation Form
Please send a completed Donation Form, enclosing with cheque or pay-in slip, to CEDAR FUND, G.P.O. BOX 3212, HONG KONG.
 CEDAR is an approved charitable institutions and trusts of a public character under section 88 of the Inland Revenue Ordinance. Please click Inland Revenue Department website to check for details.
 Donations over $100 are tax deductible in Hong Kong with our receipts.
 Please DO NOT fax any donation information.